Looking for a professional teeth whitening dentist in Groton? We are here to provide you the best teeth whitening treatment available.
A brilliant, attractive smile conveys confidence and vitality. As we age, our teeth naturally darken. One of the most popular ways to enhance your smile and improve your appearance is teeth whitening.
Why Teeth Stain
Tooth stains fall into two categories – extrinsic and intrinsic stains. The extrinsic, or external, stains only impact the surface of the teeth. Intrinsic stains are present inside the teeth and are harder to remove than extrinsic stains. Usually, extrinsic stains look yellow or brown, while internal stains are typically gray or blue in color.
You can develop teeth staining from a variety of causes including:
- Beverages such as coffee, teas, and colas
- Medication (antibiotic) staining
- Excessive fluoride
- Insufficient oral hygiene
- Nerve degeneration
Taking the First Step
One of the first things you notice about people is their smile. When you meet someone with a bright, natural smile, it catches your attention. However, over time, nature’s ageing process and your lifestyle (smoking or drinking coffee, tea, or wine) can stain or make your teeth lackluster.
The tooth whitening process eliminates discoloration and stains on the teeth, and can also brighten the natural pigmentation of the teeth. The degree of improvement will depend upon how severely the teeth are stained or discolored as well as the nature of the stains. When teeth are brown or yellow due to coffee, tea, or smoking, stains will generally lighten four to five shades. Teeth that are gray due to natural pigmentation or antibiotics use will lighten two to three shades. Regardless, your teeth will be noticeably brighter after teeth whitening.
While there are a number of over-the-counter teeth whitening methods that make various claims, we have found that teeth whitening with custom-fitted trays is the most effective method with the best long-term results.
What to expect
- Custom-fitted trays – Teeth whitening using custom-fitted trays is the method utilized by Dr. Breen to help their patients achieve a whiter smile. This type of teeth bleaching system makes use of a plastic bleaching tray into which a carbamide peroxide whitening gel is placed. The loaded tray is then seated over your teeth and worn at home daily for some weeks, while the lightening effects of the teeth whitening process take place.
- The pre-bleaching dental examination – Before bleaching treatments are begun, Dr. Breen will perform a thorough dental examination so we know that you are in good dental health. As a part of this examination we will document the current shade of your teeth. We will also inquire about aspects of your health history, life events, and consumption habits as they might relate to the current coloration of your teeth. Collecting this information will help us to identify the nature of your tooth discoloration as well as assist us in determining if tray teeth whitening is the most appropriate solution for you. We will be able to provide you with an idea regarding what degree of whitening might be expected, how long the bleaching process might take, and whether to whiten your upper teeth, lower teeth, or both.
- Taking impressions for the bleaching trays – The most important feature of tray-based teeth whitening systems is that we employ custom bleaching trays molded from impressions of your teeth. Because these whitening trays are individually fabricated and fitted for your teeth, they allow more immediate contact of the whitening agent with your teeth for a longer period of time, which increases their effectiveness.
- Demonstrating how to place teeth whitener in the bleaching trays – During the dental appointment when your bleaching trays are fitted, we will show you how to place small dabs of the whitener into your bleaching trays. You need just enough to touch the front side of your teeth and only in those portions of the tray that cover over the teeth you want to lighten.
If you have any questions or if you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss your teeth whitening options, contact us today or call our Groton dental office at 978-448-5241.
FAQs about Teeth Whitening
What if teeth whitening won’t work?
In some cases, especially where deep intrinsic stains exist, teeth whitening may not be the best option. We will review your case and can recommend other alternatives, like porcelain veneers or cosmetic crowns, if teeth whitening doesn’t fit your situation.
Is teeth whitening safe?
Many dentists consider teeth bleaching the safest cosmetic procedure available today. With careful supervision, you can lighten your teeth up to 10 shades and take years off your appearance.
What about side effects?
Some patients develop mild sensitivity after whitening. Time and toothpaste that alleviates this sensation will help minimize any discomfort you feel.